North West Fire Control has a number of different types of roles.
The majority of our staff work within the main control room answering 999 calls, providing support and guidance to staff and supporting ongoing incidents. These staff work a shift pattern of 4 shifts on and 4 shifts off which ensures that the service is covered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our staff use one of the most advanced mobilising systems in the country to ensure that firefighters are dispatched speedily to any incident they are required to attend.
As a Control Room Operator
You will be the first point of contact for a member of the public calling 999 to alert the fire service to an emergency. Your role will include taking emergency calls, some of which involve members of the public in traumatic situations, mobilising fire engines, officers and specialist equipment and teams to the location of an emergency as well as informing senior officers and liaising with other agencies and emergency services. North West Fire Control operates 24 hours a day and 365 days of the year including Bank Holidays, and this is covered by a shift system of 0700 – 1900 days, 1200 – 2200 Mids and 1900 – 0700 Nights.
The ideal Control Room Operator is:
• An excellent communicator with the ability to listen, reassure and explain situations clearly
• Able to work as part of a wide-reaching team across a number of organisations working towards a set of combined aims, objectives and goals
• A real team player
• Positive in their approach, dedicated, open minded and willing to learn at all times
• Able to remain calm under pressure, be adaptable and resilient in stressful situations
• Able to think dynamically with the ability to make optimal decisions in changing environments.
• Literate and numerate
• Skilled in ICT work and familiar with a variety of software applications including Microsoft Office
• Able to work a roster pattern including, weekends, night shifts and Bank Holidays
• be at least 18 years old at the time you apply
• Committed to Public Service and British Values
• Excellent keyboard skills (applicants will be tested for speed, accuracy and spelling)
• Experience of working in customer service environments
• Evidence of using multi-functioning computer systems
• Be a confident individual with excellent decision-making skills
• Have the ability to receive and record information accurately
• Excellent communication skills
Other departments consist of
Operational Support / System Support who provide support for the effective and efficient operation of the NW Fire Control room primarily through the provision of audit, performance management, and learning and development to achieve the Performance Standards and Service Level Agreements.
Business Support provide administrative and professional support to the business via effective coordination and implementation of office procedures.