Control Room Operator Vacancies – Closing Date 21st September 2021
Please note, due to the number of applications received we are unable to contact all unsuccessful applicants. We thank you for your application and interest in the role and North West Fire Control.
There are exciting career opportunities available at North West Fire Control.
North West Fire Control Ltd. is a regional fire control room situated in the North West of England answering 999 calls and mobilising fire engines to emergencies on behalf of Lancashire, Cheshire, Cumbria and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Services. Control Room Operators (CROs) working from North West Fire Control provide critical control room functionality to a geographical area of over 5000 square miles containing a diverse population of over 5.5 million people. The north west area varies from large rural areas in Cumbria and Lancashire, to urban areas, an international airport, complex motorway network and nuclear installations all of which present a range of risks to public safety. The incidents you will deal with are many and varied and must be dealt with by professional and highly skilled people who are dedicated to delivering high standards of work.
If this sounds like the job for you, please continue reading the information below to learn more about the role
As a Control Room Operator, you will be the first point of contact for a member of the public calling 999 to alert the fire service to an emergency. Your role will include taking emergency calls, some of which involve members of the public in traumatic situations, mobilising fire engines, officers and specialist equipment and teams to the location of an emergency as well as informing senior officers and liaising with other agencies and emergency services. North West Fire Control operates 24 hours a day and 365 days of the year including Bank Holidays, and this is covered by a shift system of four teams.
The ideal Control Room Operator is:
- An excellent communicator with the ability to listen, reassure and explain situations clearly
- Able to work as part of a wide-reaching team across a number of organisations working towards a set of combined aims, objectives and goals
- A real team player
- Positive in their approach, dedicated, open minded and willing to learn at all times
- Able to remain calm under pressure, be adaptable and resilient in stressful situations
- Able to think dynamically with the ability to make optimal decisions in changing environments.
- Literate and numerate
- Skilled in ICT work and familiar with a variety of software applications including Microsoft Office
- Able to work a roster pattern including, weekends, night shifts and Bank Holidays
- be at least 18 years old at the time you apply
- Committed to Public Service and British Values
- Excellent keyboard skills (applicants will be tested for speed, accuracy and spelling)
- Experience of working in customer service environments
- Evidence of using multi-functioning computer systems
- Be a confident individual with excellent decision-making skills
- Have the ability to receive and record information accurately
- Excellent communication skills
In return we offer
Salary starting at £22862 which increases to £27635 as a fully qualified Control Room Operator. Fully qualified experienced Control Room Operator salary – £31,433.
In-depth induction programme
Local Government Pension Scheme
Annual leave of 21 days plus Bank Holiday Allowance
Generous Occupational sick pay – after qualifying period
Please complete the application form by clicking the apply today box below. Application forms must be completed in full with supporting statement.
Click here for job description and specification – Control Room Operator